Monday, September 24, 2012

"Postcards from France," by Megan McNeill Libby

Hey guys, I'm back!
So today, I wanted to write about another good book that I related to a lot: "Postcards from France", by Megan McNeill Libby.
So basically, this is a book written by a woman named Megan McNeill Libby from Ridgefield, Connecticut (and went to the same high school as my cousins who grew up there!) who went on an AFS year program to France in the 1994-1995 school year.
The account of her year is neatly organized into twelve chapters that are called "postcards" in the book, each examining a different topic, from her battle with the French language to her attempt at making a Thanksgiving dinner for her French family, to the good behavior of French dogs, and everything in between.
I read this book two years ago (which is why I didn't think about it for a while until now), when my mom suggested it to me, as she was borrowing it from the chapter leader back in my hometown in Michigan.
And, let's just say that I absolutely devoured this book, being that I have been an aspiring exchange student since age twelve. Because of that, and knowing many exchange students, I understood a lot of what the author was describing really well. And now, thinking back on it, I can relate very much, even though I know that this is only the beginning.
I read the book hoping to gain insights into the experience, and I can safely say that I got many of them. I won't go into too much detail, just in case anyone reading this is actually interested in checking out the story.
So, that's all, really.
It was a very enjoyable read, even aside from all the exchange student-insight-stuff I mentioned. It was very well written, funny, insightful, and interesting. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has been, is, or wishes to be an exchange student at any point in the past, present, or future, and also to any Francophiles out there.
And, of course, I would ESPECIALLY recommend this to anyone who is, has been, or wants to be an exchange student in France itself.
:)

That's it.
Au revoir and ma' as-salama,
Nico

The cover that the copy I read had. 
The different version of the cover. 
France!
AFS France :)



No comments:

Post a Comment